October 31

Winterization and Mite Control Successful

img_0432

To:  Bee Team 1,

This past Saturday was a great day for us. The following hives have been inspected, treated for mites, and closed up for the winter:
Andy
Sean
Erin (Apiary Demo Hive)
Irene
Leigh (aka “The Mean Girls”)

As a team we have done very well having lost only one hive thus far. I am optimistic we will move you all from “bee havers” to Bee Keepers as we come out of winter next February.

I will be posting on our blog what you need to do between now and early February. Trust me, the bees will be doing most of the work. We will be doing one mid winter hive inspection to make sure the bees are moving up and feeding off of their stores of honey. I actually lost a hive because my bees failed to move up and starved to death. (I did not do a mid winter inspection!) LESSON LEARNED!

This morning I took Irene out to her hive and it was very noticeable that our treated hives were much more active at the same time of day, same temperature!  I was wondering why when I realized these bees were now free of mites, especially those nasty Treachea Mites, and could breathe and feel so much better!  I will post new lessons about wintering our bees in the coming days!

Be sure to drop by the Apiary from time to time.  Bring a lawn chair and just sit, observe and enjoy!

To bee or not to bee!
Scott (Mr. G)

“How beautiful it is that God still pursues us when we are running from Him!”

Posted October 31, 2016 by Scott Griffin. (Mr. G) in category Uncategorized

About the Author

Elementary Teacher (37 years retired), Photographer, Storyteller, Bee Keeper. Started keeping bees with my grandson when he was 3 years old. It is something we enjoy learning and doing together. Proud member of the Gaston County Beekeepers Association, North Carolina Beekeepers Association. Graduate of the Penn State Beekeeping School. We are all about the bees first. The honey is simply their way of saying thank you!🐝🐝🐝