Some Things I learned in Bee School Feb. 6
Great instructor tonight. Very patient and calm. I am learning that bee keeping is a great stress reducer. our instructor tonight seemed to exemplify this. So many great people in our association with great ideas and a willingness to listen and help. Plan to leave you with the best new ideas I glean each week.
- If you kill a bee(s) during a hive inspection, it gives off a pheromone that alerts other bees to her death…not good. Slow and gentle is always best!
- in general, the Queen will stay in the first two boxes. Queen extrudes can actually cause a wearing away of the worker bees, wings….this shortening the life of the bees. (I have also heard queen extruders called honey preventers). Unless I hear a compelling reason to use them, plan to not use this piece of equipment. Has not caused me a problem so far.
- We can use a 1:1 ration of sugar water to spray and help get bees to move up to next box.
- Wax foundation vs plastic?….bees prefer wax over plastic. Seems to be consensus of bee keepers around here. Glad we are using wax foundation.
- Bees rely on smells big time. Do not be hot and sweaty when you check your bees. Take a shower. Use natural soap, no perfumes. Do not wear a watch as it causes perspiration under the band. No gels, hairspray, perfumes, etc. NEVER WAS YOUR CLOTHES IN WISK. BEES HATE WISK!
- Your smoker is your best friend. Never leave home without it!
- Replace dirty Brod frames about every three years….when they turn dark!
- Good ide go have 5 Frame Hive (Nuc) in your arsenal for emergencies.